Aurora Crystal™ Selction Guide
Thank you for your interest in Aurora Crystals™. Azotic LLC is pleased to be the sole manufacturer of this proprietary coating technology which enhances the natural beauty of most mineral specimens. Azotic's process is not limited to minerals; we have been successful with coating other materials such as pewter figurines, medallions, glass, fossils and jewelry pieces. We welcome the opportunity to coat new materials. Prior to sending any large quantities of materials to be enhanced, and to ensure your satisfaction with our process, we recommend that you send samples of any new material for evaluation.
Azotic LLC has developed the following information to assist you in selection of materials to be enhanced with the Aurora Crystal™ process. Hopefully, this will reduce the time required to process your order.
1. Please assure that all crystals or other materials to be enhanced are clean and free of any dirt, debris or other contaminates. Arkansas quartz should be soaked in oxalic acid for as long as is needed to remove any signs of iron oxide stains. Any iron oxide left on the crystals will interfere with the adhesion of the titanium to the crystal structure and will produce a dull-looking coating in addition to a weak chemical bond.
2. Do not send crystals with "FOG" on them. FOG is a thin-silica film deposit on the outer face of the crystals. This fog causes the quartz crystals to look cloudy and feel rather rough to the touch. When enhanced, this fog causes the crystal to look markedly dull (no luster). Because of this, the crystal appears not to have been coated properly. For maximum shine and brilliance, please send only those crystals which have smooth, clean, highly reflective surfaces (shiny). Since the Aurora Crystals™ coating is opaque (Rainbow, Cobalt and Magenta), cloudiness inside the crystals is of no consequence. In general, the better quality the crystals, the better the coating process will look on the crystals. For crystals desired to be coated with the OPALESCENT (Si Opal) coating, the inner structure of the crystal will be visible, so clarity is important. The EMERALDESCENT/3-D coating can be done only on tabbies, shards or clear crystal points which have one side that is wider than all the rest.
3.THE TURNAROUND TIME IS DEPENDENT ON THE PRODUCTION OF THE FACTORY. Azotic LLC will strive to process all orders as soon as possible. If you require an order be received by a specific date, please allow sufficient time for processing the order. This is extremely important as the dates of the Gem and Mineral Shows approach.
4. All orders will be shipped via UPS (ground). International orders will be shipped by Federal Express or U. S. Postal or designated shipper by the customer. International customers are responsible for all customs, duties and taxes, incoming and outgoing, as well as declaration of value for raw materials. Please include specific shipping instruction i.e. 1st or 2nd Day Air, 3 Day Select, etc. on all shipments for coating.
Also, please assure that materials sent to be coated are wrapped adequately to protect against breakage. Include a packing slip and purchase order with all shipments specifying the coating enhancement and any specific shipping instructions. If you require special packing methods, please specify this in your instructions. Minimum insurance is included in your shipping charges, if additional insurance is required, please specify.
5. When sending quartz points, spheres, obelisks, etc. , please make sure these are of high quality. We will not coat anything with pits, inclusions or micro cracks. Aurora Crystal™ coating on these substrates enhances any defects, and makes the material less saleable. Some materials which have this problem are rose quartz, hematite, fluorite, snowflake obsidian, and low quality quartz.
6. AURORA CRYSTALS DOES NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS. ALL ORDERS ARE TO BE PREPAID BY CHECK OR COD, UNLESS A CREDIT APPLICATION IS APPLIED FOR AND APPROVED. IF CREDIT HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED, NET IS DUE IN THIRTY (30) DAYS.
7. At the preset time, we are able to coat mineral specimens with the following maximum dimensions:
- Quartz Large Display Cluster (8"L X 8"W X 6"H)
- Quartz (Small/Medium Cluster) or Other Minerals (4"L X 4"W X 2"H)
The following describes special handling instances which might lengthen the time it takes to complete your order or potentially increase your cost.
1. Crystals which have dirt on them may require additional cleaning methods and processing. There is an extra cleaning charge for this labor of $25.00 per flat.
3. If you require specific areas to be coated, Azotic may need to see the product to provide you with a specific quote.
4. A mixed order with different colors or different materials will require different procedures and will take longer to process than an order of just one type of material. For the most expedient turnaround time, send flats of one material to be coated with the same enhancement.
Prices subject to change without notice.
Please contact Azotic for pricing of Aurora Coatings.
1. Although, there is very little heat associated with the Aurora Crystal™ Coating process, there will occasionally be a piece that will break in the coating chamber due to inclusions or impurities in the substrates. Azotic LLC will not be responsible for any damages due to this process.
2. Consistency of color is strived for in each order. However, because of the variables inherent in the process, this can not always be completely controlled. Azotic can not guarantee that you will receive an exact shade of color from order to order. The substrate material plays a vital part of the enhancement process.
3. Abrasive jewelry cleaners and ultrasonic devices should never be used when cleaning Aurora Crystals™. A mild detergent, and if necessary, gentle scrubbing
with a toothbrush is all that is required. Minerals in the water used for cleaning will add another optical coat to the crystals much like a water stain on glass. To alleviate
this, you may dry the crystal with a towel or use a blow dryer to remove water from the crystals.
4. Please assure your company's insurance policy covers your materials while they are on the premises of Azotic LLC. Azotic can only be responsible for the value of the coating.
5. Aurora Crystal™ coating is permanent, but you must advise your customers that if part of the crystal chips off or is broken the natural color of the stone will show. Like any other crystal, Aurora Crystals™ should be handled with care.
6. Aurora Crystals™ can be electroformed, but a lacquer (micro shield) must be used on the coated crystal to protect the crystal from the chemicals used in the electroforming process.
When the electroforming is complete, the micro shield can be easily removed with acetone. Any micro shield left on the crystal will produce another optical film, causing a dull finish.
Care must be taken to remove all traces of the micro shield.
7. Aurora Crytals™ sell when displayed in a group. Customers are drawn to the Aurora Crystal™ displays to see and touch the stones. It is recommended that the crystals be displayed in an area easily accessible to the customer. The area should be well lighted. Halogen lighting is recommended. Black lights do not enhance the color of Aurora Crystals™. THE CRYSTALS MUST BE CLEANED REGULARLY TO REMOVE OIL RESIDUES, OTHERWISE THE COLOR WILL APPEAR DULL.